There was a time in my former career when I had the opportunity to interact with many people and many had to be advised of their rights before continuing our conversation. During one interview I was questioning a suspect about his drug trafficking. I had spent considerable time gaining his confidence and in response to a very difficult question he responded by saying, "Hey, how do I know that you are telling me the truth.....for all I know you could be Joe Shit the Rag Man".

We communicate via images in our mind and I developed an image of Joe Shit the Rag Man. I came to believe I was JOE. I prided myself in the image creation and this creation became my set of eyes as I examined the world around me. This "Joe" became who most of us are. Just a regular ol' guy (or gal) trying to cope, accept life and attempting somehow, along the way, to make a difference or a better life for ourselves, our families and others.

That is how Joe Shit the Rag Man came to have the breath of life.


Sunday, February 7, 2010

THOUGHTS!

You know, when a person hasn't written for a long time it is really difficult to try to decide where to begin when going back at it. It sure isn't because of a lack of things to write about because with all that is going on around us I feel overwhelmed by it all.

No sense starting at the bottom and working up. No, I resumed my writing today by first penning a letter to our president and then to resuming my activities on this blog. In my letter to the president I tried to outline my formula for moving this nation out of this gutter of despair. I suggested that he do the following:

a) immediately work to ensure the enactment of HR 25 (Fairtax) and the accompanying repeal of the 16th amendment.

b) use the unspent portion of his stimulus to issue debit cards in the amount of $1,000 to every US citizen and ensure the cards could only be used for the purchase of new goods and services.

With the elimination of capital gains taxes, estate taxes, payroll taxes, etc. it goes without saying that business would have a very inviting atmosphere in which to accelerate. By restricting the use of the government issued debit cards to new goods and services people couldn't use the money to pay off existing bills but would use the money for new goods and services; thereby new tax revenue would be guaranteed immediately. Using the $1000 per person figure I noted above, that would yield about $70 billion in taxes as the populace began spending their money. Hey, it's better than building a tunnel for turtles, frogs and any other assortment of little wee-beasties. I believe there is at least half of the original stimulus money that is unspent. If my math is right that would be 300 million persons times $1000 for a grand total of about $300 billion. I also explained that the enactment of HR 25 would immediately initiate a prebate program that would help some families with their medical costs and would enable many to enroll in a catastrophic coverage insurance program further reducing mandates and financial burdens on America's already overtaxed citizens.

Since I'm throwing all those figures around, let me share one more with you. There is so much talk of the trillions of dollars of debt this nation has. Most people have no concept of what a trillion is. Congressman John Linder of Georgia once described a trillion dollars on the House floor in the following manner: (sorry, but I have to paraphrase here)

If you would have started a business on the day Jesus Christ was born and began losing a million dollars per day, each and every day, from that point in time until right now (2010), you would have to go another 700 plus years before reaching a trillion dollars. How's that for putting things into perspective??? Give you a better idea of what a trillion really is?? It did for me!

How time flies. It was a year ago this month that Rick Santelli first broadcast the notion that perhaps we should have a "tea party". Do you remember that? He was in Chicago. Who would have thought that the "tea party movement" would have grown to what it is so far. Talking about watching history in the making!!! I'm glad to have been involved from the onset and to have attended some of the events. At times I'm sure we all feel despair and hopelessness, but this provides us all the opportunity to be involved....and I strongly encourage it.

I'll tell you what.....if and when I get a response from my letter to the president I'll let you know here...just don't be holding your breath in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. Joe-

    The government needs to put that unspent money towards our national debt. Not spend it. It is not money that we have, but money that we borrowed from China. It is also better for people to pay off their bills first and spend second. Remember the debit card money that was spent on strippers and booze and drugs from the Katrina scandal. Of course, I am not sure that strippers qualify as new merchandise. Also, these people will sell the card for $500 or so cash to someone and by drugs with it.

    Neither a borrower or lender be.

    Also, FairTax though noble, does not ensure responsible spending by the powers that be.

    My way to fight is through prayer. Surely this is a battle between good and evil. God is allowing Satan and his followers to set up the coming one world government and one world church that is predicted in Revelation. Then the rapture and then the anti-christ comes. But don't worry, I have read the end of the book and we who believe in Jesus win the big battle.

    Pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, pro debt - who are the democrats following? Not my God.

    <>< Your old buddy, Hak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your comment, Hak. The money I'm talking about is the money originally appropriated but not yet spent....they are going to blow it anyway. They will not use it to address the debt issues. If the money is spent on drugs at least revenue will be collected when the users consume goods or services unlike the current situation where drug traffickers pay no taxes. Good to hear from you buddy!! Fred

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search